My Actual Homepage - Go here for more info.


I plan to put a graphical banner here eventually...

02 January 2011

Heaven is a Selfish Idea!

First let me start off by reposting (for lack of a better term) "The atheist creed" such as it is.  This was written in 1963 by Madalyn Murray O'Hair:
An Atheist loves himself and his fellow man instead of a god. An Atheist accepts that heaven is something for which we should work now – here on earth – for all men together to enjoy. An Atheist accepts that he can get no help through prayer, but that he must find in himself the inner conviction and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, to subdue it and to enjoy it. An Atheist accepts that only in a knowledge of himself and a knowledge of his fellow man can he find the understanding that will help lead to a life of fulfillment.
Bolding is mine. That right there sums up why I see the idea of heaven as a selfish idea.  And the behaviour of xtians seems to confirm that they really aren't all that concerned about what happens here on earth as they are about getting their imaginary rewards once they die.  With the bible telling them to subdue the earth and take what they think they are entitled to, they are behaving like a 2 year old that is in their "mine" phase, without really considering the consequences of their actions.  Heck, some of these theitard idiots think that this is all a sign of their imaginary friend making good on his 2000 year late promise of coming back...  And all too often I hear from theists that what happens on earth is not important when compared to eternity.  Heaven is just an imaginary playground where you don't let anyone else in, and it belongs to just you and your special club.

That right there is selfish.  As an atheists, my main concern is leaving this world a better place than I found it.  Especially because there is absolutely zero evidence what so ever that there is anything after I die.  Sure, I'd love to find that I am wrong in some way, but let's face it, it's just a natural reaction to the fear of the unknown and non-existence.  So while I am here, I figure it's important for me to do what needs to be done.  I won't have a chance when I am dead.  Besides, has anyone ever seen anyone from the dead have an actual effect on anything that was driven by sentience?  Ever?  Of course not.  They are dead!  The most that they are doing is decomposing, and perhaps affecting the memories of those around them.  But there is absolutely no sentient guidance or any sort of spirit.  Throughout all of human history, and all scientific endeavours, there is no proof of this.  That right there is a hit.  If you want to have an impact on the world, do it while you are here.  That is the only thing that you will actually be remembered for.

So that's why I think that the entire idea of heaven is a selfish idea.  I would rather actually DO something that is of real, and actual, good in this world.  How about you?

No comments: